Monday, April 16, 2007

Joe and Margaret - Sunday, October 22, 2000

Sunday, October 22, 2000

Over lunch - a pot roast, carrots and potatoes that Margaret had fixed -she asked, “Joe, I was wondering why Pastor Larry focused on Jesus as high priest, but didn’t mention that Jesus was subject to weakness as we are. That Jesus knows us was helpful, but that he had the same temptations, I really wanted to hear about that. Can you explain some of that for me?”

“Let me think about it. We’ll pull out Hebrews 5, right after lunch and look at it. I’m not sure I’ve ever thought about Jesus having our weaknesses. Let me look at it awhile and I’ll be able to explain it. I am glad you asked me. As Paul said, ‘Women should remain silent in church and ask their husbands later.’ You really do take his words into account”

“You know the Bible so much better than I do. How I wish my family had known something of the Bible. But they didn’t and it showed. You’ve really nurtured that child that I was. I don’t think I’m yet that mature in the faith, but I want to grow so that I can be your true support and help. Pastor Larry talks about that so much at the Women’s Bible study. How we can be your help and support by obeying all of your commands. And that you think I’m a good enough person to be trusted with your Aunt Gwyneth’s house, you don’t know what that means. I still can’t imagine what she had in mind, but then she didn’t really think that a man should be the head of his household or she would have married. I don’t mean to speak ill of her, but her church really wasn’t as Bible-believing as Pastor Larry’s.”

No comments: