Friday, November 17, 2006

Customers

The other day I had some call the motel. That's not unusual nor was it out of the way that they asked for a guest that wasn't there. But then they asked whether there was a reservation for someone by that name. And that's something we don't disclose.

We actually don't even say whether or not someone's present in the motel we just transfer, by name only not room number, to the room. It's a matter of guest security and privacy. We'll transfer calls, unless the guest has given a name, but we don't speculate as to whether they've registered under a different name (though we do make sure that the credit card and driver's license is valid). But this time when I gave my standard speech about how I can't give out the information as to whether someone has registered the person on the phone got angry.

This isn't the first time that this has happened. It won't be the last. And when people get angry over the rules taht we don't give out information then I'm inclined to be a little suspicious. Are they a jealous significant other, are they a stalker, are they something else? I begin to wonder. And with cell phones so prevalent, couldn't they just call and ask their friend, relative, co-worker or other possiblity?

When a desk clerk says, "I'm not supposed to give out that sort of information." then it's not the time to go off on the desk clerk. There may be good or bad reasons for that policy, but it's not going to be changed because you're yelling at the clerk or threatening to take away your business. And it's just plain rude.

I may be alone in this, but I don't think I am. Rudeness doesn't make me want to serve you any more quickly, any better and if I witness it I'm not impressed. Certainly I understand a reasonable complaint. I'v made those myself and shwon progressively more anger. But not at the desk staff unless it is something that they are doing right then and there. A desk clerk who is ignoring me as I try to order is fair game for my feelings, but one who is enforcing a policy of the mananger/owner doesn't deserve my anger. And it is impolite for me (and you) to take out my being upset on someone who has no recourse or remedy at their disposal.

No comments: