Thursday, August 31, 2006

Answered prayer

Norman Cates has a story of a Christian who prayed every morning:
"Lord, if you want me to witness to someone today, please give me
a sign to show me who it is." One day, on a nearly empty bus when
a big, burly man sat next to him. This man cried out, "I'm a lost
sinner and I need the Lord. Won't somebody tell me how to be saved?"
He turned to the Christian and pleaded, "Can you show me how to
find the Lord?" The believer bowed his head and prayed silently,
"Lord, is this a sign?"

Too often we are like that Christian. We are asking for signs and ignoring them when they are before us. We are those who have eyes but will not see, who have ears but will not listen, who have voice but will not speak. Sometimes what we don't see is relativly unimportant, sometimes it is more important.

I have a situation I wish I'd handled better from a few years back. Granted I was irritable with good reason - a broken collarbone will do that to most people I suspect. I had gotten onto the plane and was relatively settled when I saw a couple coming down the aisle commanding the services of two flight attendants. Once the couple was settled the gentleman leaned across the aisle and asked the person "Would you like a Bible?" and a conversation ensued. Then he leaned forward and asked another person, "Would you like a Bible?" and a conversation took place. Then he leaned back and asked me "Would you like a Bible?" I ignored him. I was on the way to my seminary class reunion. I had a Hebrew Testament in my backpack and a couple of commentaries. I wanted him to take an interest in me, rather than trying to give me something he thought I needed. He stared for awhile and I ignored him. Then I went back to reading.

I wish now that I'd engaged in a conversation. I suspect he felt persecuted for Christ's sake. What I felt was that he was counting up the number of Bibles he'd given out to say that he'd done his good deed for the day. But I don't know what he felt. Perhaps, we could have had a good conversation about why I was put off by his methods or how we were the same or different in our beliefs or something that I can't imagine. I wish I'd been more of a conversationalist.

I can't go back and change that situation, but I can go on and work to do better the next time that (or something like that) happens. Possibly I could have helped that person in spreading the gospel. He did something I almost never do which is initiating a conversation about faith with a stranger. And while many of my talkents lie in the realms that require reflection and contemplation I could have learned something to about putting myself out there to individuals that I meet.

God calls a lot more often than I, than we, listen. The signs are present right now.

No comments: