Monday, August 21, 2006

Scourge, Guide and Joy

In my experience living a Christian life is a joy. I find joy in following God's law. I find joy in the simple experiences of life (folding laundry is what I'm doing today - over 100 pounds or from twenty rooms). I find joy in many things. But Calvin and Reformed theologians talk of the law in different ways. The law can be a scourge for the wicked, a guide for the perplexed, and a joy for the saints.

I think too many people experience Christian life, following God's law as only a scourge. And that's not their fault. It's the people who say first you have to experience discipline then you will know God's love; it's the ones who say if you aren't punished how can you know that you've done right; and similar statements that have it wrong. You can get to joy without going through the scourge.

God's gift is unconditional. God's love has no end. The joy comes as one knows their salvation and lives it. The gift of God come down to become human is not for us to be condemns, but for saving us.

No comments: