Thursday, August 31, 2006

Conflation and Interpolation

When reading Paul, especially Second Corinthians, I find it difficult to understand why some interpreters of Scripture don't accept the ideas of conflation and interpolation. Conflation is making several documents into one document. Interpolation is adding more to the document from a different author. It seems so clear that both happen.

There are more scholarly commentaries to which to go for examples. (My two favorite series of commentaries are Hermenia and Anchor Bible.) Yet, I think the problem is not in the evidence in the scripture, but in how we view scripture. Everytime we start talking about scriture as infallible it is my belief that we begin to place scripture on the same level as God. Scripture points the way to God, but is not God.

It is the same logical fallacy of assuming that because God is infallible so, too, is our understanding of God. Our human understanding of scripture, even when inspired by the Holy Spirit, is limited. We mistake the applicable passage, we misuse scripture to our own purposes, and we do not allow for the working of God within others to correct our own misunderstandings. When we have too high a view of scripture our tendency is to make our understanding of scripture just as infallible.

When we talk about scripture, even when we quote scripture, we are using our own bias and preference in doing so. There are passages I have memorized, but not the whole of scripture. And even if I had the scripture memorized (including the variations in the Greek and Hebrew texts) I would still be using the parts of scripture that I find most congenial.


With this attitude the idea that parts of what I consider to be Holy Scripture might be conflated - parts of different documents put together - or interpolate - parts from different authors added - doesn't seem that irreverent or shocking. Looking at that possibility increases my ability to understand more of what it might mean in my life today.

So the question of whether Paul actually put a word about women remaining silent in the midst of a passage on everyone being able to prophesy becomes for me a way to understand scripture rather than a negation of scripture. To be able to see the human element interpreting the divine will is, for me, one of the greatest gifts of studying scripture. My faith is not lessened by that exploration, it is increased. My spirit soars as I see the living, breathing human who sought to follow God as I do.

No comments: