Thursday, August 31, 2006

Milgrom, consecration and memories

I am fascinated as I read Milgrom's commentary on Leviticus as he (or I reading him) find insights into the current day. Who would of thought that out of a seemingly minor point such as the consecration of Aaron and Aaron's sons would lead to something so important as remembering the moments?

The eighth chapter of Leviticus provides the fulfillment of the command at Exodus 29 to 'consecrate Aaron and Aaron's sons to the priesthood." Why is the realization of the command so far from the initial decree? The answer is clarified by the context. Moses is commanded to cnsecrate Aaron and his sons into the priesthood by means of a series of sacrifices. Thus Moses must learn the sacrificial procedures (Leviticus 1-7) before he can proceed with the priestly consecration. he will also need to consecratethe tabernacle (8:10-11) before he can consecrate the priests, for when the tabernacle and its sanctums were assembled (Exodus 40:17-33) they had not been consecrated.

Why, after such a long hiatus, is it important that the Bible records that Moses anoints Aaron and his sons? It is not only because it represents the fulfillment of a prior obligation; it is also a lesson to the reader about the importance of ritual markers. The Bible is reminding us not to let important moments slide by unnoticed, but instead to mark occasions with rituals that establish the significance of the moment and emblazon them on our collective memory.
Milgrom, Leviticus, p. 78.


And that last sentence at the end is why I keep reading Milgrom's book. It is important to take note of the moments' in which we live. Since my parents have died my memories are what I have. I remember dad realizing how much work I do when I prepare to sing as we travelled to my Uncle Roger's funeral. I remember having a good discussion with my parents in a restaurant on that same trip. The memories of small things are more important than some of the so-called major events. That they were at my graduation is important, that I remember going out to dinner with them just on a whim is priceless.

Making time for the big and the little is what I remember and love about my parents.

No comments: