Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Election results

I pondering the election results today. In some ways heartened, in many ways disappointed. There's still no way for me to have the responsibilities and protections of marriage if I ever find (I'm picky so it's still a dream) a life partner. And it's not that I don't trust my family to carry out my wishes, but little things like having the chain clear if I should be hospitalized and need someone to make medical decisions without having to file a ton of paperwork that might not be around when it's needed. If I have a partner - life-long commitment - then I want my partner, not my brothers to make the needed decision. It's little things like being on the medical plan of my partner and having him be on my plan. It's little things like the right of inheritance. There are a number of rights - civil rights, not religious - that come along with marriage. So far no matter how in love I am or how committed our relationship they're not available to me.

So I'm disappointed.

No comments: