Sunday, January 07, 2007

Assumptions

I've been going through some of my past posts today and noticing spelling errors. I have a sometimes unfortunate presumption that I'm good at spelling. But that's not entirely true. It's not just being good at spelling that gets the words correct, it is also my typing ability and whether or not I proof the text.

What's that phrase about 'assumptions are the mother of all...'?

I suspect the same problem happens in other areas of my life, and in the life of every human. Yet I still see people who assume that if there's a problem it is someone else's fault. Yes, that may be true, but not always.

And there's the opposite problem of assuming every problem is one's own fault.

As a manager I know I'd rather work with an employee who thinks it's there fault than one who never believes it is their fault. But somehow my real preference is for someone who can take criticism, but also lets me know when I've been wrong in my perceptions.

So I guess what it comes down to is that we're all human. We make mistakes, we get things right. The biggest problem is not the mistakes but how we react. Do we assume that the problem is the other person or that the problem us? Going one way or the other on the answer, rather than looking at each situation, is the problem. For without a correct look at whether the fault is in ourself or in the other there's no way that the problem is going to be solved.

No comments: