Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Closure

Closure is good. We need to put things in the past where they belong and move on. But... sometimes people want something else when they say they want closure. I think that's what is happening with an employee of mine who has called and wants to talk to me or take me out to dinner because she wants closure. The fact is that this person came in one day and quit without notice. Since it was on a holiday I ended up working double shifts for about a week between not being able to put an ad in the paper immediately and getting through the process. I'm not sure what closure the employee needs or wants. It sound more to me like my approval is desired.

And that approval is not going to happen. Certainly I can forgive and am working on forgiving this person for putting me in some untenable hours, but if closure means I'm supposed to forget or approve, then it's just not going to happen. And I have a sneaking hunch that is what meant by 'closure' in this case.

No comments: