Thursday, January 04, 2007

Dynamics in pastoring

I was back into reading Dynamics in Pastoring by Jacob Firet today. It is one of the books to which I continually return and then retire after a few pages. It is more a matter of mining the nuggets I can use from the dense matter surrounding them, than a lack of interest. And then I come to a paragraph like:
If we now speak of agogy in general, it implies that we believe we can arrive at a general concept. However, it is not so general that it embraces both pedagogy and demagogy; it embraces pedagogy and "andragogy." The fact that "pedagogy" has been treated as though it were composed of pais and agogia is..."
and I get stuck. The terms are well-defined when introduced, but I have to go back and figure out if I really understand them. And the result is worth my time and effort. But I run out of energy.

Yet I keep coming back, because it keeps giving me what I need to remember as I go about being a pastor for the church. Even when I disagree with Firet, I still find this work encouraging in my work.

No comments: