Saturday, January 06, 2007

Hiring

I love the training after hiring. I love helping people learn new things. But hiring and waiting to see if people work out, that's not such a pleasure.

I have a new hire who went home sick earlier this week. That's fine. She was sick. But...

Today, before she's scheduled to come in I get a call.

"I won't be coming in today. My husband got called into work."

"Will you be able to come in for part of the shift?"

"I don't know. I don't have child-care and don't know when he'll be back."

and later

"Well, I'm not sure I can continue to work. My husband is the breadwinner of the family and my job has to come after his job."

"Do you know whether you'll be able to come into work tomorrow?"

"I'm not sure."

and a still later...

"Well, my husbands job has to come first so I'll return the work shirt on Monday."

I sigh. I always thought both jobs were important and that you made the decision to support both jobs together. Evidently I'm wrong. Evidently the one person rules the other. And evidently it takes more than one phone call to get the message to me that someone is quitting rather than not able to work for the one day.

And so I may Love training , but the events around it are another matter entirely.

No comments: