Saturday, December 30, 2006

Do they really hear?

Today I'm feeling sympathy for all those prophets who spoke to a people who did not hear. The ears were stopped and the eyes blinded. I'm working with someone who really is anxious to do well, but they don't hear. As best I can tell they're listening for what they think I want them to do, but not really hearing what I actually say. I say the dishes need to be washed and put away. And the dishes are washed and put where they were for serving rather than where they are stored between breakfasts. And I saw this employee take them from the storage place and fill them - I showed this to the employee. Or I say "I want it done this way." and I hear, "But no one told me that you wanted it this way." And I know, because I'm training and telling the employee for the first time - so no one has told them that and it's not a problem, ubt it's made into a problem.

And I've seen bad managers - I've lived under some of them - who don't state clearly how they want things done, but.... I don't think this is the case this time. As deluded as I can be about my abilities the fact is that I've trained people in this operation before and I'm not doing anything different. I'm adding things day by day as the employee gets the first things down. I'm working not to give everything at once so that they're overloaded or too little so that they don't learn.

But, in this case, everything I say is met with 'Oh I know how to do that.' and then going about it their way rather than my way. Or 'No one ever told me and how can you blame me for not doing it this way' when I'm not blaming I'm trying to teach. And more.

I'll admit that there are better ways to do things than the way I'm doing them now - and if you ask I'll probably change. But I do want things done my way, or the owner's way, or the health inspector's way - we've been doing this for years. I'll freely admit that I can make mistakes in training, but when every time (or what seems like every time) I try to teach the way I want things done I get - oh, I know how or I never was told that - then I'm frustrated and think it's not my teaching, but the hearing.

I could be wrong, but I'm checking on it. And if I'm not, then my employee may not last very long. I can work with people willing to learn, but I can't work with those who don't listen to what they hear.

No comments: