Thursday, December 21, 2006

Tolerance and Intolerance

I've been discussing with some people the happening during the Vietnam war where some returning soldiers were greeted with disrespect. But then some articles today reminded me that the same thing happens today.

The first was a letter from Rep. Virgil Goode (R-VA)suggesting that theelection of a Muslim was a bad thing - we should keep watch on the bordersor more of this will happen

The second was an attack on two men because they were holding hands. Thewere attacked as they came out of a restaurant.

For me these are both symptoms of the same thing - a lack of tolerance for those who are different. And certainly there are some gays and muslims who are very intolerant - I just didn't see stories about them this morning. And the question for me is what are we called to do. I see in scriptures a man who welcomed sinners, ate with prostitutes and tax collectors, who preached about religious leaders and rich people of the day putting burdens on the backs of the poor. And I wonder who can call themselves Christian and attack people for holding hands or write that another faith than their own is a threat to a nation in which both are citizens.

Where is the call to avoid the denunciations that lead to these acts?

Where are the calls to treat each other respectfully and civilly?

What I see too often are leaking blivots who say 'but we never meant that to happen from our words. yes we called them this and that but we never meant for that to happen, no we never meant our words to be taken that far' And this is not a new thing - read a little history and we'll see more than one instance where demagogues wanted to take it too far and further for theirown power - yet it should trouble us whenever and wherever it happens.

I wish I had a permanent solution, but I suspect as long as people are people we will have those cries of hatred and fear and those who aredifferent will be persecuted.

Sigh.

No comments: