Friday, December 01, 2006

Processing

People process ideas and sensations in different ways. That seems obvious to me, but isn’t as clear in how most people act. When I’m working at the front desk people often provide a spelling of their name, when I ask for their name. In interacting with most people this is helpful. I usually ask for the name again after the spelling. If they give me the word sound of the name I can get it typed in, but without that word sound I’m in a word jumble. And there are some people who spell it a second time without giving me the pronunciation. And I’ve had people continue to spell the name after I explain that I need to hear the word in order to get it down. I don’t intend to be difficult, but what I need is not what I’m being given.

People process in different fashions. That most people work a certain way doesn’t mean that everyone does. And the differences aren’t good or bad, they just are.

No comments: