Saturday, September 02, 2006

Broad-minded faith

There were a number of reasons I loved this story about a 'broad minded church'. It may be because of my parents. My mother transformed from a housewife to a feminist as she learned from being a foster parent. One of my dad's regrets was not taking part in the civil rights movements of the 1960's by registering voters. I believe my mother told him "Victor you are not going down south, getting yourself killed and leaving me to raise three children by myself."

Broad-minded faith

Philadelphia ministry seeks to re-connect those detached
from religion in an artsy environment

by Toya Richards Hill

PHILADELPHIA - There are two unassuming little signs posted
outside a massive, old Gothic church in Philly's downtown
arts district that speak volumes.

One is black and the other is green, and both display the
same logo - two thick lines intersecting to form a
crossroads.

The signs are gentle invitations to come inside, speaking
mainly to those who might be at a spiritual crossroads. All
are welcome at Broad Street Ministry, self-proclaimed "A
broad-minded faith community."

....

Described as a "connector," Golderer set out to create a
ministry that weaves together people who have lost hope in,
or are detached from, the organized church with the vibrant
arts and business community in downtown Philadelphia.


Making people feel welcome is what the church should be about, in my opinion, so I'm always excited to learn that someone is doing so.

No comments: