Thursday, September 21, 2006

Calm and certain

John 12

[27] "Now my soul is troubled. And what should I say--'Father, save me
from this hour'? No, it is for this reason that I have come to this hour.

Every once in awhile I hear something about how Christians should be calm and untroubled becasue of the certainty of the resurrection or some such nonsense. I heard in the midst of depression, "how could you, as a minister, be depressed?" and more. But this passage indicates the peace that passes understanding and the peace that comes from knowing Jesus aren't the same thing as a sense of calm or a lack of depression. Jesus, in this passage, finds his sould troubled and asks the cup to pass from him. it is not a lack of concern that gives the Christian peace, but a willingness to go beyond the troubles and concerns to seek God's will. It is an acceptance of the consequences of one's actions and a willingness to follow the truth, our God, righteousness wherever they may lead. Not without regard, but to be as God wills us to be.

No comments: