Monday, October 23, 2006

Denial

I can understand denial. Hey, I lived in denial about my sexual orientation until I was in my thirties. But I also didn’t do anything that would bring that knowledge to my attention. I distracted myself from knowing. But that’s a little different than the denials of Jim Ryun. Oh I didn’t know Foley even though we lived across the street from each other. Oh, I didn’t really know him our block parties just happened to be at the same time. Oh, there’s an invitation from both of us, but we really didn’t know each other. Now that’s a new level of denying the truth.

the source for what Ryun knows is from Thoughts from Kansas.

I do understand not wanting to admit you know someone, but a lot of this is public. I see the same problem with this as I did with Clinton and Lewinsky. Much of it makes very little difference, but the coverup and lying make a huge difference. That Foley and Ryun worked together is not important, that Ryun feels the need to cover it up and lie says a great deal, and none of it positive, about his character.

No comments: