Sunday, October 01, 2006

Sen. Allen and the N-- word

One of my beliefs is that everyone over thiry has used the n----- word. It may have been playing around and testing limits as a child. It may have been because of prejudice. It may have been in explaining that the n- word is one that we don't use. But everytime someone says, "I've never used that word." I start thinking that they're lying.

Senator George Allen is certainly under increased scrutiny because of his presidential ambitions. The Washington Post is one, but not the only, paper to say so. And it is unfair that the scrutiny is coming towards him rather than his election rival. But somehow I just think the issue would have died if he'd said something along the lines of "I made mistakes while I was growing up and said some things that I don't approve of now." Denying the issue just leads us into the same morass that a democratic president had when he said, "I did not have sex with that woman." I'd rather have someone who can admit to mistakes and move on than someone who covers up their mistakes and hides from them.

No comments: