Saturday, February 10, 2007

Virginity pledges

I believe in chastity until marriage and fidelity in marriage and committed relationships. But it always strickes me as somewhat incestuous when I read about dad's dating their daughters. It doesn't matter that it's a purity ball where girls are pledging their virginity. Actually that increases the 'ick' factor. I could go into a long list of reasons. But I won't. And I'll not go to any protest against these things. I just tend to think that they're irrelevant. A good class in sex ed which includes birth control methods and how to practice safe sex is more important for the physical and mental health of children turning into adults than any pledge, which if one read statistics on the number of people in the USA who have had premarital sex, is likely to be broken.

I thought I had a link to a study on premarital sexual activity that came out this year. I can't find it right now, but if I do I'll post it.

No comments: