Saturday, February 10, 2007

The Sacred Canopy: Elements of a Sociological Theory of Religion

Peter l. Berger's book is one of those to which I return for sustenance. His analysis of religion is often spot on, and if not still worth thinking about. My first degree was in Religious Studies so his method of looking from the outside in is not a foreign concept. And that same degree means I'm one of those liberals that are often derided in the fundamentalist/evangelical presses. Yet that background is what makes the exercise that Berger does in this book fascinating for me. I look at his analysis in light of my faith journey as a Christian and find much that helps me correct the mistakes in my beliefs. This book isn't for everyone. It is meat rather than milk. But hoepfully everyone will want to grow up and start eating adult fare rather than remaining on the food of infants. This is that solid fare for which Paul encourages us to strive.

No comments: