Saturday, February 10, 2007

The Watada Case

I've been reading about the Watada case for several months now without commenting. Having had men and women in my family who have fought in every war since the Revolution (sometimes I've had people on both sides) I have trouble with the thought of refusing orders. But this war (and it is a war by whatever name it's called) is equally problematic. But having the case end in a mistrial is even more of a problem. The case should be heard on its merits and there's some doubt that another trial may happen as most of the case was finished. If as Wataba claims - he refused an illegal order - then that truth needs to be proclaimed. If as the prosecution claims - he refused a legal order - then that truth needs to be proclaimed. A mistrial is not in the interest of justice nor of this country.

I'm not sure what I want to have happen with a decision, but this lack of decision is bad for all sides.

No comments: